Monday, October 24, 2011

week 5: there's just nothing like it

chicken nights are some of my favorite korean memories so far. they were sprung from the seeds of my early mornings and cultivated my resistence to hanging out at the local foreigners' bar. understanding both of these things, once a week my friend paolo came over, and we grubbed on the best fried chicken in the world. for real. i've lived in the south, and they ain't got nothin' on korea. really. i think they put crack in the chicken. as i exclaimed one chicken night, "there's just nothing like it!"

there's also just nothing like old dudes in the park.

one of the delights of mokpo is a walking path that winds through the city. it's a wonderful little amenity complete with exercize machines for public use placed every so often. i took the path to home plus this week to pick up some essentials. on my walk back, groceries and blanket in hand, an old man named pedro, whom lindsey and i met earlier that month, was sitting with his pals on a bench that lines the path. he called my name and waved me over. i shook my head and insisted that i had to go home. he insisted that i come over and sit for a while. what's a girl to do? so, i sat with three old korean men for about 30 minutes, answering their questions, which were asked in broken english, and drinking a hot chocolate they bought me from a vending machine.

life in korea...there's just nothing like it.

3 comments:

  1. Did you get pictures of the old men in the park? That would be a sick picture. I feel like this could be a movie. I'm serious. Cool things like that only happen to you lol.

    P.S. Send me some fried chicken!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy about the fried chicken--that rocks! love that they have exercise machines along the path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maiyah's right. You're living a movie. So cool. I love your life in Korea. Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete